Saturday, June 9, 2007

Arriving in Rome

I flew from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati and the flight was really short. There was the cutest little girl across the row from me and we talked a little bit.

On the flight from Cincinnati to Rome there were seven of us, which was really nice. I had been worried about how I was going to get to Medaglie D'Oro, but having so many of us it was easy. The plane was a beast, though! I didn't realize it would be so huge! I sat next to a couple, and the man grew up about 100 m outside of Rome. I know this because I eavesdropped on them a little. I couldn't really help it. It was fun sitting next to them because he would correct the flight attendant's Italian to his wife.

A bird just almost flew in the apartment. Kari, my roommate, brought her computer, which is really nice because we get free wireless. But back to arriving.

Maneuvering around FCO was easy. And customs was not what I was expecting! We waited in this beastly long line and then you had to step up to a yellow line, wait a minute, and then just walk through, hold your passport up to the window, and he waved us on. The guy was just sitting there with his head in his hands, looking bored as could be. He actually looked like Mussolini.

We all cabbed into Medaglie D'Oro, and it was 20 euro each. We took a van. And it was terrifying. It was our first experience with Rome drivers, and they are crazy. Just because the light is red doesn't necessarily mean they will stop. Especially the scooter drivers.

At Residence Medaglie D'Oro, we got keys and room assignments and waited for the meeting and walk. I took a shower because I felt so dirty! But I was so excited to finally be in Rome! On our first walk, I think the moment that I first got really excited to be here was when we got to the Spanish Steps. It was so amazing to see them, full of people. And the Keats and Shelley museo is right next to them. There's just so much history here--I love it. There's just nothing like it in America!

So arriving was good--no stories there! I was just glad to shower and then go to bed!

No comments: